1960s Tulip Wall Lamp
Materials: Rectangular brass dark blue painted wall mount. Brass rod. White opal glass lampshade in a tulip, flower shape. Bakelite E14 socket.
Lampshade: ∅ 12 cm / 4.72”
Wall Mount: 9,2 x 3,7 cm / 3.62 x 1.45”
Depth: 14,5 cm / 5.70”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands and Turnhout, Belgium.
Other versions: This 1960s tulip wall lamp was made in several colours and some variations; double lamps, chandeliers and so on.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 Mai 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them.
Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.