Sciolari Brass & Chrome Chandelier
Materials: Brass, chromed metal (iron). Aluminium, brushed aluminium. It has 9 clear crystal glass tubular diffusers/cylinders on every lamp.
Chain Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 44 cm / 17.32”
Width: ∅ 62 cm / 24.40”
Electricity: 9 bulbs E14, 9 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Period: Late 1970s, early 1980s.
Designer: Angelo Gaetano Sciolari (1927-1994).
Manufacturer: Sciolari, Milan and Rome, Italy.
Other versions: This Sciolari brass & chrome chandelier was made in several variations: more or less light bulbs and wall lamps. Also a table lamp exists.
A combination of Mid-Century Modern and Hollywood Regency style. Typical for that period.
Angelo Gaetano Sciolari
Angelo Sciolari graduated with a degree in architecture but wanted to be a filmmaker. This course came to an abrupt end when in 1949 his father suddenly died and he took over the Sciolari Lighting company at the age of 22.
His first designs in the 1950s were Sputnik inspired pendants; off course it was the space age.
In the 1960s he created refined, futuristic and sharp classical style chandeliers. Lines were clean and sculptural and materials such as crystal and ice glass sparkled with a voluptuously luxurious coolness and he started combining brass with chrome.
He led the family business with a passionate vision and within years, he expanded the business and started working with other light companies worldwide.
Gaetano Sciolari created lights for Stilnovo and Stilkronen (Italy), Lightolier and Progress Lighting (USA), S.A. Boulanger (Belgium), Helestra and Leola (West Germany), Lyfa (Denmark) and some other companies and off course for his own Italian family business; the Sciolari company in Rome and Milan; where all the lighting business at that time was present.
Sciolari was the founder and the first president of the trade association of Italian manufacturers of lighting fixtures, the AIDI. The Associazione Italiana di Illuminazione was founded in 1958 and still exists today.
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.