Gaetano Sciolari Chrome Tubes Chandelier
Materials: Long chromed metal (iron and brass) tubes and rods. Chrome curved rods and flat rods and slats. 12 Bakelite E14 sockets.
Height: 102 cm / 40.15”
Width: ∅ 45 cm / 17.71”
Electricity: 12 bulbs E14, 12 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. Although, bright lights are not recommended. For this setup Centaurus bulbs made by Neolamp, Italy were used.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Angelo Gaetano Sciolari (1927-1994).
Manufacturer: Sciolari Illuminazione, Corso Di Francia, Rome, Italy.
Other versions: This Gaetano Sciolari chrome tubes chandelier exists in several varieties and was also made as a wall lamp.
Angelo Gaetano Sciolari
Angelo Sciolari graduated with a degree in architecture but wanted to be a filmmaker. This course came to an abrupt end when in 1949 his father suddenly died and he took over the Sciolari Illuminazione lighting company at the age of 22.
His first designs in the 1950s were Sputnik inspired pendants; of course it was the space age.
In the 1960s he created refined, futuristic and sharp classical style chandeliers. Lines were clean and sculptural and materials such as crystal and ice glass sparkled with a voluptuously luxurious coolness and he started combining brass with chrome.
He led the family business with a passionate vision and within years, he expanded the business and started working with other light companies worldwide.
Gaetano Sciolari created lamps for Stilnovo and Stilkronen (Italy), Lightolier and Progress Lighting (USA), S.A. Boulanger (Belgium), Helestra and Leola (West Germany), Lyfa (Denmark) and some other companies and of course for his own Italian family business; the Sciolari Illuminazione company in Rome and Milan; where all the lighting business at that time was present.
Sciolari was the founder and the first president of the trade association of Italian manufacturers of lighting fixtures, the AIDI. The Associazione Italiana di Illuminazione was founded in 1958 and still exists today.