Luigi Pellegrin Architect – Lifetime Achievement Award – October 2000
Targetti Sankey S.p.A.
Targetti Sankey S.p.A. was founded in 1928 by Sankey Targetti as a family business. His son Paolo was the second president of the company. Today his grandson Lorenzo succeeded Paolo in the chairmanship of the group, and Stella, his granddaughter, is the vice president of the Tuscany Region. The company has been designing and producing indoor and outdoor architectural light fixtures ever since.
The company specializes in lighting for large exhibition spaces. For example the lights used in the Galleria dell’Accademia di Firenze (Gallery of the Academy of Florence) to illuminate the world famous statue of David, made by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475 – 1564), were a gift by Targetti for the museum. Also the Academy of Fine Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti) in Firenze is illuminated by Targetti.
Paolo Targetti (1937 -2010) worked for the company since 1960 and has been working on the management’s commitments with an enthusiastic activity in the field of design of lighting and communication equipment. He was president of the Targetti Sankey S.p.A. company since 1985. For some years Targetti was president of the L’Accademia di Belle Arti (Academy of Fine Arts) in Florence.
Targetti was appointed President of the Industrial Association of Florence (L’Associazione industriali di Firenze) in 1987, member of the “giunta nazionale di Confindustria”, the Confederation National Council, since 1991, runner of work since 1992, president of the scuola di Scienze Aziendali, the School of Business Science in Florence from 2003 to 2010.
From 2004 to 2007 he was chairman of the National Association of Lighting Manufacturers, the L’Associazione nazionale dei produttori di illuminazione. Since 2008 he was president of the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence.
Villa La Sfacciata
In 1998 Paolo Targetti and Targetti Sankey bought the Villa La Sfacciata in Firenze, Italy. It houses the Fondazione La Sfacciata Lighting Academy, the home of the Targetti Light Art collection, headed by Amnon Barzel.
The Foundation is dedicated to promoting lighting research, the diffusion of light culture and commissioning works of art to contemporary artists made with the use of artificial lights. The Villa La Sfacciata is located in via Volterrana 82, on the hill of Giogoli, near the Certosa di Firenze.
Many thanks to Andrea Sarzi Braga for his contribution.
Luigi Pellegrin Desk Lamp
Materials: White painted metal, chromed metal, white painted Bakelite socket.
Height: 30.5 cm / 12.00”
Width: 30 cm / 11.81”
Base: ∅ 20 cm / 7.87”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt max, 110 – 220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but a small one is preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Luigi Pellegrin (1925 – 2001).
Manufacturer: Targetti (attributed). Luigi Pellegrin had his studio in Rome near the local Targetti seat. Targetti is specialized in architectural lighting in public spaces.
Luigi Pellegrin was born in Courcelette, France and died in Rome, Italy in 2001.
He designed this lamp in 1974 during the works of construction of the Foggia library in the Apulia (Puglia) region of southern Italy together with Leonardo Fiori. He also designed all the furniture and other lamps for the renewed library. Luigi Pellegrin is among the greatest exponents of organic architecture.
Luigi Pellegrin is internationally most famous for the seating he designed for the Italian company MIM (Mobili Italiani Moderni – Italian Modern Furniture), where the young Luigi was mentored by the famous Ico Parisi who founded the MIM company.
“The architect is not a professional, he is an entity chosen by the social group to view and build the level of quality achieved by that group; realized then that the body will function as an incubator, organizing in positive exchanges the real conflicts of the moment ” – Luigi Pellegrin.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Targetti’s experience in architectural lighting and in particular in museum lighting used to bring the Salone dei Cinquecento (Salon of the 500) in the Palazzo Vechio (Old Palace) back to life.