AV Mazzega Amber Crystal Glass Chandelier
Materials: Metal chromed frame and 14 amber and clear crystal hand blown Murano glass plates. Bakelite sockets.
Chain Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 36 cm / 14.17”
Width: ∅ 43 cm / 16.92”
Electricity: 3 bulbs E14, 3 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E14 screw base can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised. Maybe a design by Carlo Nason who created most of the lamps for the company during that period.
Manufacturer: AV Mazzega, Murano Italy.
Other versions: This AV Mazzega amber crystal glass chandelier exists as a flush mount and wall lamp and made in different colours.
AV Mazzega was founded in 1946 by Angelo Vittorio Mazzega. In 1950 his son Gianni Bruno Mazzega started working in the family’s glass factory. Gianni Bruno Mazzega is responsible for the creation of many beautiful lamps.
Today, under the watchful eye of Andrea Mazzega, grandson of Angelo Vittorio, the company works together with high-level international designers. Andrea is the president of the company since 2000. Today the company is named Mazzega 1946.
Born in Murano in 1935 he grew up in one of the oldest families of Murano glass makers where experts introduced him to the most refined techniques. In the 60s he worked for the family glass works Nason & C.
He quickly started to collaborate with other glass workshops, with special attention for modern design and achieving a combination of technique and craftsmanship which characterises all his projects. Carlo has always shown an attitude for innovation without loosing his tradition.
From 1965 until 1980 he designed the complete collection of AV Mazzega, that today is an icon of vintage: the creation of the highest quality at the level of its design.
Carlo Nason designed for De Majo, Leucos, Alt Lucialternative, Gallery Vetri D`Arte, Murano Due, Vetreria Vistosi, Vetreria Carlo Moretti, Vetreria Livio Seguso, Gruppo Firme di Vetro di Salzano and several other companies.
Not only he designed glass objects, he designed ceramics for Baldelli, ski shoes for Garmont; consultant for Casinos Austria International in Vienna and worked on graphics for several companies.
In 1975 he founded his own company iTRE. Since 2002 the company is owned by FDV Group S.p.A., better known as LEUCOS. Many well known designers worked for the iTRE company.
Not only is he a designer, He is also passionate about photography, in the 60s and 70s he has won numerous competitions.
Carlo’s work can be found in several museums. The Museum of Modern Art MoMA in New York, USA, the Triennale Design Museum in Milan, Italy. The Corning Museum of Glass in New York has a large collection of his works.
Same chandelier in black and white
Photo of the old factory on the island of Murano – October 2014