1950s Lantern Pendant Lamp
Materials: Black and silver painted forged iron. Brass decorative parts and ornamental screws. White opal conical glass. Iron white painted perforated mesh on top of the glass. Black and white painted square lampshade, brass chain. Bakelite socket.
Chain Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 31 cm / 12.20”
Width: 21 cm / 8.26”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But a white, opaque or frosted one is preferred; it gives the best result with this light.
Period: 1950s, 1960s.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Massive, Mortsel, Kontich and Wommelgem, Belgium. (attributed)
These type of pendant lamps were made for many years. The origin is vague, but they were presumably first made in France and Italy. Off course the design is based on the typical candlestick lanterns, but there was a revival of this design in the 1950s.
Massive was in origin a bronze foundry and they produced mainly candlesticks, crucifixes and chandeliers in Wilrijk near Antwerp, Belgium. The company was founded in 1926 by Pieter-Jozef De Jaeck. His son Eddy De Jaeck was responsible for the huge expansion of the company in the 1970s. But it were his sons, Piet and Jan De Jaeck who made Massive a true multinational. Thus, they moved production to Eastern Europe and China.
In the 1980s Massive became the leading brand in Europe. In 2002, the brothers left the company to the investment fund CVC Capital Partners, for allegedly more than 250 million euros. Since 2008 the company is owned by Philips and the name of the shops is changed into Light Gallery.
When the takeover by Philips was announced in November 2006 Massive commercialized more than 10.000 lighting products under brand names such as Massive, TRIO and Lirio. The group had about 5.000 employees worldwide and was active in 70 countries.
Massive sold many lamps made by others. Peill + Putzler from Germany and Yamada Shomei from Japan produced lamps for Massive, to name a few. Many other lighting companies did.
All the electric parts are made by the Italian VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan, as you can see on the left. VLM Components was founded in 1945 and the parts in this light were made in the 1950s, early 1960s. VLM Components is famous for the range of switches they produced that were designed by Achille Castiglione in 1968.