1950s Lampion Wall Lamp
Materials: Brass, brass plated copper. Black painted iron. Gold painted iron wall plate. Opaque forsted glass. Some metal parts. Bakelite sockets.
Height: 30 cm / 25.98”
Width: 20 cm / 3.93”
Lampshades: 22 x 7,5 cm / 14.17”
Wall Mount: 15,2 x 8 cm / 4.52”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E14, 2 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Massive, Kontich and Wommelgem, Belgium – attributed.
Other versions: Unknown. Probably also made as a single wall lamp. The lampshades were also used for chandeliers.
Lamps with similar glass lampshades were also made by Raak from Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Raak Lantern Pendant Lamp.
Massive was in origin a bronze foundry and they produced mainly candlesticks, crucifixes and chandeliers in Wilrijk near Antwerp, Belgium. The company was founded in 1926 by Pieter-Jozef De Jaeck. His son Eddy De Jaeck was responsible for the huge expansion of the company in the 1970s. But it were his sons, Piet and Jan De Jaeck who made Massive a true multinational. Thus, they moved production to Eastern Europe and China.
In the 1980s Massive became the leading brand in Europe. In 2002, the brothers left the company to the investment fund CVC Capital Partners, for allegedly more than 250 million euros.
Since 2008 the company is owned by Philips and the name of the shops is changed into Light Gallery.
When the takeover by Philips was announced in November 2006 Massive commercialized more than 10.000 lighting products under brand names such as Massive, TRIO and Lirio. The group had about 5.000 employees worldwide and was active in 70 countries.
All the electric parts were made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan. They were produced in the 1950s and 1960s.