Philips NPD 245 Oldtimer Pendant Lamp
Materials: Round white plastic lampshade decorated with oldtimer cars and famous European buildings and landmarks. Some plastic and metal parts. Bakelite E27 socket. Plastic canopy.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 20 cm / 7.87”
Width: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. Philips recommends the Argenta Super Lux light bulb.
Period: 1960s, 1970s.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
Other versions: This Philips NPD 245 oldtimer pendant lamp exists in many variations. Similar lights for children’s rooms exists with other pictures. they are numbered NPD 225, NPD 274, NPD 273, NPD 228 and so on.
Decoration on this pendant lamp
Cars: Ford, Fiat, Opel, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, Peugeot.
Buildings and towers: Statue of Liberty in New York, Tower of Pisa, Roland Statue Bremen? Tower Bridge London, Reichstag building Berlin and the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 May 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them.
Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.
Argenta Super Lux
The Argenta Super Lux light bulb was a bulb with his origins in the late 1960s. It is a combination of a spotlight with a normal bulb. The Philips slogan: “Argenta ‘Super Lux: the lamp with 30% more light on the table for the same electricity costs”.
Philips NPD 225 and NPD 245 Oldtimer (old-timer) Pendant Lamp – Catalogue 1968
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.