Links (external links open in a new window)
Diamond Cutter Pendant Lamp
Materials: Enameled green and white iron lampshade. Brass socket with a porcelain rim.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37”
Height: 18,5 cm / 7.28”
Width: 15,4 cm / 6.06”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1900s – 1950s.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: To be appraised.
This lamp was used in a diamond cutters workplace in Sint-Job-In-‘t-Goor (Brecht) in Belgium from the 1930s until the early 1960s. There were 3 diamond cutter companies at that time in the small village. In the 1960s these pendant lamps were replaced by TL-lights ( fluorescent tube).
Pictures below: how these lamps were used. Here suspended in the restored “Slijperij Lieckens“, part of the diamond museum in Nijlen, near Antwerp, where the diamond cutting in the Antwerp Campine started in 1908.
Special thanks to Louis Brusselmans for the lamp and all the information. His grandfather was one of the founders of the diamond cutting business in the Antwerp Campine (Antwerpse Kempen).