Adjustable Spotlight Wall Lamp
Materials: Square brown painted metal wall or ceiling mount. Brown painted metal square tube/beam and slat. Black plastic parts. Porcelain socket.
Height: 18 to 26 cm / 7.08 to 10.23” (adjustable)
Lampshade: 7,5 x 7,5 cm / 2.95 x 2.95”
Base: 9 x 9 cm / 3.54 x 3.54”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. For this setup we used a spotlight bulb.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands – Turnhout, Belgium.
Other versions: This adjustable spotlight wall lamp exists in many colours and variations. Also made with a long rod and double or more lights. It can be used as a ceiling lamp, wall light or picture light. Some people even use it as a table lamp or desk light. Versions exists with chrome parts. This lamp is model NCS 104, as you can see below in the catalogue picture from the 70’s. Also lamps for rails were produced.
Almost similar lamps were produced by Brilliant Leuchten, Germany and/or Fase from Spain. You can find one over here.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 Mai 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them. Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.
Many thanks to Walter for the catalogue. He is one of the administrators of the Facebook group “Antiek Kunst taxatie” (Antique Art appraisal).