1950s Caged Pendant Lamp
Materials: Brass, black made brass. Yellow striped and clear conical glass tube. Bakelite socket.
Chain Length: 60 cm / 23.62”
Height: 50 cm / 19.68”
Width: ∅ 60 cm / 23.62”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Massive, Kontich and Wommelgem, Belgium – attributed.
The brass of this lamp is made black in the factory with a chemical process, it is not painted. The easiest and probably the cheapest way to do that is with ammonia.
Caged pendant lamps like this one are often attributed to famous Italian companies from that period. However, caged lamps have been made for a long time around the world. They even existed with candles long before there was electricity.
Massive was in origin a bronze foundry and they produced mainly candlesticks, crucifixes and chandeliers in Wilrijk near Antwerp, Belgium. The company was founded in 1926 by Pieter-Jozef De Jaeck. His son Eddy De Jaeck was responsible for the huge expansion of the company in the 1970s. But it were his sons, Piet and Jan De Jaeck who made Massive a true multinational. Thus, they moved production to Eastern Europe and China.
In the 1980s Massive became the leading brand in Europe. In 2002, the brothers left the company to the investment fund CVC Capital Partners, for allegedly more than 250 million euros.
Since 2008 the company is owned by Philips and the name of the shops is changed into Light Gallery.
When the takeover by Philips was announced in November 2006 Massive commercialized more than 10.000 lighting products under brand names such as Massive, TRIO and Lirio. The group had about 5.000 employees worldwide and was active in 70 countries.
The wiring and socket are Italian and they were made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco near Milan in the 1950s.