1970s Cut Glass Discs Chandelier
Materials: 27 facet-cut smoked crystal glass discs round lampshade. Brass wire frame and parts. Brass chain and canopy. 9 Bakelite E14 sockets.
Chain Length: 40 cm / 15.74”
Height: 35 cm / 13.77”
Width: ∅ 50 cm / 19.68”
Electricity: 9 bulbs E14, 9 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but clear or bright bulbs are preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: ORION, Vienna, Austria.
Other versions: This 1970s cut glass discs chandelier also exists as a wall lamp, a flush mount and a table lamp. Versions exists in chrome, also with metal rings, as you can see in the catalogue picture.
It is always said that these cut glass chandeliers are made in Murano, Italy because a large amount of discs chandeliers were produced over there. The Murano discs chandeliers are all hand blown, never made in facet-cut glass.
This smoked cut glass with gilded metal is typical 1970’s. Hand blown glass from Murano is something completely different. Of course you will also find cut glass from Murano.
Today, these chandeliers are for sale again. The ORION company restarted the production. The series chandeliers and flush mounts are named Rauchglas: smoked glass.
The ORION company was founded in 1948 by Rudolf Molecz as “Rudolf Molecz – Sales Agent Electronic Devices and Materials”. The company was originally intended as an electronic parts retailer, but soon they were manufacturing hand-crafted lighting.
In 1953 the company moved to Vienna Favoriten, in the 10th district, some 5 km / 3 mi apart. Additional surfaces were acquired to build showrooms. Rudolf‘s son Leopold joins the company which is re-named to “Rudolf Molecz & Sohn OHG”
In 1959 a factory was build in Vienna-Oberlaa, 10 km / 6.2 mi to the south. Electroplating started in 1973. Trade relations abroad are established and export begins.
The ORION name was originally the name of a successful series of lighting. In 1975 it became the company’s name.
The third generation joins the company in 1976. Leopold‘s son Peter joins the company followed by his brother Michael in 1982. It becomes a real family business.
ORION lighting opens its main distribution centre in 1984. After the fall of the Iron Curtain in the early 90’s, the company expanded sales rapidly to the east.
The fourth generation of the Molecz family, Florian and Bastian, join the company in 2006.
The ORION company still produces high quality lighting and sells it around the globe.