BAG Turgi Cube Floor Lamp
Materials: Red painted metal (iron) cubic lampshade on 4 thin legs. 5 round white opal acrylic diffusers. White painted Bakelite E27 socket.
Height: 60 cm / 23.62”
Width: 40 x 40 cm / 15.74 x 15.74”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 150 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Carl Moor.
Manufacturer: Bronzewarenfabrik AG (BAG) Turgi, Switzerland.
Other versions: This BAG Turgi cube floor lamp exists in several colours.
The BAG Turgi cube floor lamp was sold by Koch + Lowy in the USA. They named it Helvetica. For the moment it is unclear if Bag Turgi used this name also.
Often said: professor Moor. Unfortunately, a long search yielded no results. Do you have an idea about the designer? Please let us know through the contact form and help improve the websites exactitude. Your help is much appreciated.
Wilhelm Egloff founded the W. Egloff & Co. metal goods factory for the manufacture of household items in Zurich, Switzerland in 1885. In 1887 Albert Meierhofer and a year later in 1888 Hermann Gaiser took a stake in the company at Turgi station. Around 1900 they started producing lighting.
In 1909 the Schweizerische Broncewarenfabrik AG (BAG) was founded. Since 1918 the name has been BAG Bronzewarenfabrik AG Turgi.
On of the first famous lamps by the company is the Quick 1500 table lamp designed by Alfred Müller, often named the Swiss Bauhaus lamp. Other designers that worked for the company are, among others: Siegfried Giedion, Karl Trabert and Carl Moor. Most of the lamps were designed by the design team of the company, according the books and catalogues.
BAG Turgi is best known for the lighting of streets, sports stadiums and hotels. For instance, they made de lighting for the Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway in 1994.
In the 1990s BAG sold various branches of business. In the end, it reduced its business activities to the management of company real estate. It now operates as BAG Immobilien AG. It is still located at Turgi, Switzerland.