Twisted Murano Bubble Glass Table Lamp
Materials: Hand blown twisted crystal Murano bubble glass (pulegoso). Brass parts. Bakelite socket. Fabric lampshade with a gold coloured plastic ring.
Total Height: 41 cm / 16.14”
Height: 28 cm / 11.02”
Width: ∅ 25 cm / 9.84”
Base: ∅ 9,5 cm / 3.74”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1940s – 1960s.
Designer: Ercole Barovier (1889-1972) – attributed.
Manufacturer: Vetreria Artistica Barovier & C.. since 1939 named Barovier & Toso. – attributed.
Other versions: probably made in several colours. The lampshade of this table lamp is not original.
Barovier & Toso
Barovier & Toso has a long history dating back to Jacobello Barovier in 1295. It is one of the oldest family companies on the planet.
Angelo Barovier, some 200 years later in 1450, designed the famous “Barovier wedding cup”. Wich is now conserved in the Murano museum on the Murano island. It is perhaps the most precious object of the Renaissance glass master-pieces.
In 1878 the first Barovier company was born: Fratelli Barovier (Brothers Barovier). Later it changed into Artisti Barovier (Barovier Artists).
After the First World War in 1920, the furnace was renovated and renamed into Vetreria Artistica Barovier & Co. 1920 was the year in which Ercole Barovier began his career as entrepreneur and designer.
Ercole Barovier created new colors, developed new chemical formulas, and found more efficient ways to manufacture glass. His most outstanding skills however lay in conjuring up innovative effects.
Ercole stopped working just a few years before his death in 1972. His portfolio consisted of no fewer than 25,000 designs.
Pulegoso: Italian word taken from the dialect word pulega, which means bubble. The glass is containing numerous bubbles of all sizes, produced by adding bicarbonate/soda, gasoline, or other substances to the glass. The bubbles make the glass semi-opaque and give the surface an irregular texture. The technique was developed in the 1920s by Napoleone Martinuzzi (1892-1977) on the island of Murano, Italy and used for the first time by the famous Venini company.
Links (external links open in a new window)