Vintage Info – All About Vintage Lighting

Vintageinfo Google Search

Peill + Putzler Bell Pendant Lamp

Materials: Hand blown orange and clear crystal glass in the form of a bell/clock. Black plastic round top. Bakelite socket.

Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’

Height: 35 cm / 13.77”

Width: ∅ 30 cm / 11.81”

Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.

Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.

Designer: To be appraised.

Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, (West) Germany.

Other versions: This Peill + Putzler bell pendant lamp exists in green crystal glass as you can see below. The bigger version, model AH 183 is 42 x 35 cm / 16.53 x 13.77”. This lamp is model AH 182. The model numbers AH were used in the beginning of the 70’s.

Peill + Putzler

Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.

The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm WagenfeldWilliam Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.

In the 1950’s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren.  1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.

In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.

Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.

Peill + Putzler Bell Pendant Lamp clear below, coloured on top black plastic model AH182 1970s

Peill + Putzler Bell Pendant Lamp clear below, coloured on top black plastic model AH182 1970s