Green Glass Pendant Lamp
Materials: Hand blown green crystal glass “pulegoso” lampshade. White glass on the inside. Chromed metal lamp-holder on top. Metal socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 35 cm / 13.77”
Width: ∅ 30 cm / 11.81”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Other versions: Made in several colours.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany.
No label present on this one, but it has the right electric parts and the metal lampholder on top is used for many different lamps in the 1960s and 1970s. For instance, the Futura pendant lamp has the same parts.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is named Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.
Pulegoso: Italian word taken from the dialect word pulega, which means bubble. The glass is containing numerous bubbles of all sizes, produced by adding bicarbonate/soda, gasoline, or other substances to the glass. The bubbles make the glass semi-opaque and give the surface an irregular texture. The technique was developed in the 1920s by Napoleone Martinuzzi (1892-1977) on the island of Murano, Italy and used for the first time by the famous Venini company.