Peill + Putzler Clear Glass Pendant Lamp
Materials: Crystal clear hand blown curved tubular glass lampshade. Chromed metal (iron) rod and parts. Bakelite socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 46 cm / 18.11”
Width: ∅ 20 cm / 7.87”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, a special model or a coloured one is preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany.
Other versions: It is unknown if this Peill + Putzler clear glass pendant lamp was made in other versions.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and so on.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lights moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill & Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.