Cosack 1950s Bedside Lamp
Materials: Iron round base, painted with yellow wrinkle-paint. Iron lid on the bottom with green felt glued on it. Brass curved rod. Brass joint. Yellow painted conical aluminium lampshade, white painted inside. Brass socket.
Height: 22,5 cm / 8.85”
Lampshade: ∅ 6 x 14 cm / 2.36 x 5.51”
Base: ∅ 8,4 cm / 3.30”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but a small bulb is preferred. For this setup a refrigerator bulb was used.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Gebrüder Cosack, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: This Cosack 1950s bedside lamp was made in several colours. It is a small lamp. It can be used as a desk or table lamp, but it was probably meant for use as a bedside lamp. The angled base is reminiscent of the base that was used for various lamps designed by the famous Italian designer Gino Sarfatti (1912 – 1985) for his company Arteluce. Models 566, 573 and 581 have a comparable base.
The Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) company was founded in 1848 as a metal processing plant in Neheim-Hüsten, Germany by Egon, Friedrich and Theodor Cosack. In the beginning they made liturgical items and crosses made of brass and they also produced kerosene lamps. Later the company came to the production of electric lamps. Cosack is the oldest Neheim lamp factory.
After the Second World War Cosack pursued a modern direction. A best seller were copper lighting for restaurants. The company was declared bankrupt in 1984.
Best known designers: Ursula or Gottfried Stürzenhofecker (unclear, they are both designers), K. H. Kinsky.
The socket of this desk lamp was made by BJB. BJB is Brökelmann, Jäger and Busse, BJB GmbH & Co. KG. The BJB company was founded in 1867 and started with petroleum lighting. The company still exists. Today they produce LED lamps, terminal blocks and connectors, lamp holders for conventional lighting and switches. They are active in the whole world. BJB GmbH & Co. KG is located on Werler Strasse 1, 59755, Arnsberg, Germany.
The switch was made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. Today VLM Components is owned by Relco. It is one of the biggest suppliers of switches, cords and plugs in Europe. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produce that were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.