Symfoni Wall Light NX 154 – Philips Catalogue 1964
Symfoni models P-016, P-017, P-018, P-019
Symfoni Pendant Lamp
Materials: White and dark grey painted metal (iron), Bakelite socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 25 cm / 9.84”
Width: ∅ 20 cm / 7.87”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Preben Dal (1929 – 1980).
Manufacturer: HF Belysning A/S, Hans Følsgaard Elektro, Copenhagen, today Hans Følsgaard A/S, Køge, Denmark.
Other versions: Made in variations. All white and dark grey painted. Also produced as a wall lamp. This lamp is model P-016, the smallest version. NT 77 model name was used for the Philips lamp.
P-016: 25 x 20 cm / 9.84” x 7.87”, P-017: 30 x 31 cm / 11.81” x 12.20”, P-018: 36 x 38 cm / 14.17” x 14.96”, P-019: 41,8 x 46,5 cm / 16.45” x 18.30”.
H. Følsgaard Elektro
H. Følsgaard Elektro was founded in 1922 by Hans Følsgaard. Følsgaard opened an electrical wholesale in Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark. After World War II in 1946, his son Povl Følsgaard began to import electric components.
HF Belysning A/S was a subsidiary of Hans Følsgaard Elektro, specialized in lighting production. The most famous lamps are the Symfoni light Series, designed by Preben Dal in the early 1960s.
In February 2005 Følsgaard was taken over by HF Holding A/S, today owned by Addtech AB.
Preben Dal had a Design Studio together with architect Ole Bang in the period 1959 to 1976.
Poul Cadovius (1911 – 2011), famous for his wall unit shelving system, the Royal System he designed in 1948, designed the Flower Lamp (RS 25, RS 37 and RS 50). It was made by HF Belysning A/S in 1968, but produced for Royal System A/S, first named CADO after Cadovius. The Royal System was recognized with a Gold Medal at Finland Furniture Fair in 1950 and silver at the Milan Triennale, establishing a benchmark for wall storage design.
These Symfoni pendant lamps were also sold by Koninklijke Philips N.V. from the Netherlands. It’s unclear if Philips produced these lights under licence or that they were made for Philips by HF Belysning A/S.
Philips Catalogue 1964